Frequently Asked Questions on Global Engineering
Welcome to the Frequently Asked Questions on Global Engineering
You are a student interested in Global Engineering, an educator, administrator, or practitioner new to the world of Global Engineering, a seasoned global engineer, or you simply want to know more about Global Engineering, you will find here answers to most of your questions.
You can also contribute to these answers through our open-edit policy as pioneered by Wikipedia. Just click on a question and create or add your answer. If an answer does not exist create its page and make the questions as its title for homogeneity. Use the “Comments” tab to discuss existing answers.
Go here to learn more on how to edit wiki pages in GlobalHUB.
- What is a Global Engineer, as opposed to a Regional Engineer?
- What’s social entrepreneurship?
- What types of programs and experiences comprise global engineering education?
- Why it is important to learn to Work in a Global Team?
FAQ for Students
First year of College/University (aka Freshman)
- Why should I study abroad?
- Will Study Abroad delay my graduation?
- [SQ3 Will I have more career opportunities or a larger salary if I study abroad? ]
- [SQ4 What fraction of engineering students study abroad? ]
- [SQ5 How can I become a global engineer? ]
- What experiences can I gain by becoming a global Engineer?
- [SQ7 What do I need to do know to prepare for a global educational experience? ]
- [SQ8 What fraction of students outside the US (Europe and Asia) have had an international experience before they graduate?]
Second year of College/University (aka Sophomore)
- What job opportunities are available for students who have global experiences?
- What are the chances that I will need to be a global engineer?
- Do all disciplines have global requirements?
- What do I need to do now to prepare for a global educational experience?
Third year of College/University (aka Junior)
- [SQ13 How do I remain committed to global engineering education in spite of a heavy credit load?]
- [SQ14 How do I explore engineers from other cultures through my engineering science courses? ]
- [SQ15 What are the costs vs. benefits of international co-ops and internships?]
- [SQ16 Can you give me some sample opportunities in international education for engineering juniors?]
Fourth year of College/University (aka Senior)
- [SQ17 Can you tell me more about international senior design education?]
- [SQ18 How can I internationalize my resume?]
- [SQ19 How can I find international possibilities at a job fair?]
- [SQ20 How can I begin presenting myself as a global engineer in a job interview?]
- [SQ21 How can I evaluate the costs and benefits of an international career as a global engineer?]
Graduate students at University
- [SQ31 Why should graduate students study abroad?]
- [SQ32 What kind of research topics are there in Global Engineering?]
FAQ for People New to Global Engineering Education, Research, and Practice
Interested in teaching Global Engineering
- [RQ1 What are some sources of information to start new, relevant courses? ]
- [RQ2 What funding is available to support such courses? ]
- What are other ongoing courses?
- [RQ4 How and where can I find willing partners to collaborate? ]
- [RQ5 What are the avenues for dissemination? ]
- What are the technological tools and support required?
- [RQ7 What is the value of a global engineering education?]
Interested in doing research in Global Engineering
- Where can I find published research related to Global Engineering?
- What are the main research issues in global engineering?
- [RQ10 How can I contribute?]
Interested in the practice of Global Engineering
- [RQ11 What are the best avenues to tap global engineering students?]
- [RQ12 Where do I find global engineering courses (part-time) for industry people?]
- [RQ13 What is the value of global engineering to personal and professional growth?]